Taxis Cup Review

    No Comments

    A controversial finish to the women’s 4×100 relay meant that Glasgow Caledonian recorded their first sports win in the annual Glasgow Taxis Cup for more than two years, pipping the defending champions Glasgow University 18 points to 17.
    With Strathclyde a distant third place, the event was ultimately decided by a decision to disqualify Glasgow for stepping outside of the changeover box, yet not penalise Caley for a clear lane violation with the track referee arguing that the mistake was “not deliberate” and so not worthy of a disqualification.
    The event started well for Glasgow as Krishawn Aiken and Euan Stewart recorded a one-two finish in the men’s 100m whilst Lara Bardelli came second against tough opposition in the women’s event
    Featuring a slimmed down programme condensed into just an hour, the only other individual event saw Juan Pablo Garcia of Glasgow take second place again behind Caley in the men’s 800m, recording a personal best time for outdoors racing. The women’s race saw Strathclyde’s only win of the day as the Glasgow pair of Alison Broadhurst and Alicia Paton were made to pay for a slow first lap, finishing third and fourth respectively.
    Glasgow’s relay squads got off to an excellent start in the men’s 4x100m as a team featuring Stewart and Aiken scored a strong victory against a Caley team that reached the final of the recent BUCS Championships in Sheffield. With three races left, it became a two-horse battle with Strathclyde clearly out of the running.
    The women’s 4x100m squad featured a more mixed level of experience thanks to some unfortunate recent injuries ruling athletes out. Nonetheless Glasgow looked strong for the most part and were in contention for the lead until a mistimed baton changeover forced one athlete to step outside of the allowed area, leading to disqualification. Whilst this was viewed as a deliberate action, the stepping out of lane by a Caley athlete on the home straight was described as accidental and so was not punished, putting Glasgow behind on points.
    To have any hope of victory Glasgow needed to win both 4×400 relays and hope that Strathclyde could assist with a couple of second place finishes. A strong run in the men’s relay gave Glasgow a solid victory with Aiken needing to only run a 52 second final leg to win, although Caley’s second place now confirmed the result.
    Nonetheless the women’s team did the club proud, winning by 12 seconds to ensure the club were successful in three out of the four relays, demonstrating the strong depth in the squad. Losing by such a fine margin is surely disheartening for the club however given the sheer number of athletes missing for various reasons, victory was always going to be challenging.
    The club can now look forward to a week of warm weather training at the end of the semester before preparing for the Scottish Outdoor Championships in the middle of April where Glasgow are looking to record their seventh straight win in the competition.

    Categories: Competition Reports

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.